Kemp Library’s Cataloging department is responsible for providing intellectual and physical access to materials in the library’s collection through the cataloging, classification, and subject analysis of materials in all formats and languages which the Library acquires. We are constantly adding to and maintaining our online public access catalog,(PILOT). Our catalog can also be used via EBSCO Discovery Service.
We adhere to nationally standardized authority and bibliographic rules as an effective means of accessing records by bibliographic or subject terms. Kemp Library uses the Dewey Decimal Classification System Dewey Decimal Classification System (DDC), and Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH). These elements are hyper-linked in the catalog and enrich searching capabilities.
- Materials are cataloged in the order in which they are received.
- Materials requiring immediate attention are generally processed within 24 hours and held at the Circulation Desk. The person requesting expedited processing is notified.
- ESU Master’s Theses and other materials requiring original cataloging are routinely added to the online catalog. If you have a question or concern regarding a Master’s Thesis please reach out to Professor Megan Smith.
- Materials are rebound, repaired, or deaccessioned on a case-by-case basis.
- If you would like an on-order item or item in the process of being cataloged immediately, please email Professor Megan Smith.