To request an instruction session, please call the Kemp Library Reference Desk at (570) 422-3594 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide at least one week notice when requesting a library instruction session.
Unless otherwise specified, all library instruction sessions will take place in the Library Instruction Lab on the main floor (Room 117) of Kemp Library. Faculty members are kindly asked to be present during the instruction session.
Kemp Library’s Library Instruction and Information Literacy Program seeks to ensure, in partnership with classroom faculty, that East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania students graduate from the university with an awareness of what it means to be information literate and embrace and exhibit behaviors and aptitudes that define them as information literate in an Information Age society.
The program and associated activities seek to achieve this through provision of course-related and course-integrated instructional sessions, tours, orientations, and workshops.
Kemp Library’s Library Instruction and Information Literacy Program embraces the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education, from which the following goals for the Program and its participants (corresponding to the five articulated ACRL standards and endorsed by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education), are derived:
- Goal 1: To enable students to determine the nature and extent of their information need.
- Goal 2: To train students to access needed information effectively and efficiently.
- Goal 3: To train students to critically evaluate information and its sources.
- Goal 4. To help students learn to use information effectively to accomplish a specific task, either individually or as members of a group.
- Goal 5: To equip students with an understanding of economic, legal, and social issues surrounding information use, so that they may access and use information ethically and legally.