The National Writing Project model includes developing a leadership cadre of local educators who have successfully completed the Invitational Summer Institute, who are then known as Teacher Consultants (TCs).
TCs deliver customized inservice programs for local schools and institutions, and provide continuing education and research opportunities for teachers. In addition, NWP sites may conduct programs for youth, for parents and community members, and for administrators.
NPWP TCs are:
- Conducting in-service workshops for new teachers
- Facilitating multi-year partnerships on Writing Across the Curriculum in one district and formalizing a Writing Workshop model for all English teachers in another.
- Presenting strategies to pre-service
- Leading and participating in a variety of professional development study groups
- Attending national conferences