A.W.A.Y. (Active Warriors All Year) is an initiative of the Office of Student Engagement which engages students in altruism and social justice initiatives.
Saturday, October 20th, 2018
We will be going AWAY to Philadelphia to volunteer at the Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission! Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission serves the homeless by providing meal service programs, shelter, and resources for both men and women. Our day will consist of a tour of the Sunday Breakfast facilities, serving a meal, and pitching in with a facility-based project that can include cleaning program rooms, sorting and organization donations, painting, or assisting with other preparations.
The trip is FREE for ESU students (with their student ID) and it includes transportation and a boxed lunch. Sign up in the SAA Office, University Center #223 with a $10 deposit reimbursed day of event.
Contact Melissa Cement a email@example.com with any questions.
AWAY Puerto Rico
March 9,15, 2018
We will be going AWAY to Puerto Rico to help with Hurricane Maria relief. We will spend our Spring Break serving in the south eastern communities of the island, where the hurricane made landfall. In partnership with four municipalities and other civic organizations, we will have three teams of service that students can sign up for:
- Brigades: We will travel to four different municipalities providing training brigades in First Aid, Crisis Management, Yoga, and children services.
- Seniors: We will be serving the most affected by Hurricane Maria. We will be trained as caretakers of Puerto Rico’s largest demographic, helping with health needs, as well as home maintenance.
- Conservation: We will be helping provide maintenance to devastated areas in national and state parks, as well as the development of street signs to replace those blown away in numerous communities.
In addition, Latin American Association and Spanish Club will be leading efforts in two support initiatives:
- Adopt-A-Niño: Clubs, departments, and individuals will be able to adopt a kid in need and sponsor the needed supplies to attend school. “Bultos” (care packages) include: backpack, notebooks, pencils, sharpener, crayons, rulers, and other school supplies.
- Adopt-A-Abuelo: Clubs, departments, and individuals will be able to adopt a grandpa or grandma in need and sponsor supplies for basic needs. “Bultos” (care packages” include: adult diapers, bed pads, and rash ointment.
Information for sign ups, cost, and interviews will be released soon during Latin-American Heritage Month. An information meeting will take place on Monday, October 15th at 6:00pm in the Commuter Lounge (University Center 1st Floor).