ESU 125th Anniversary Dinner and Celebration

Tickets for East Stroudsburg University’s 125th Anniversary Celebration on October 25, 2018, are available for purchase. Alumni, friends, and members of the community are invited to the celebration being held at Terraview at Stroudsmoor Country Inn in Stroudsburg, Pa.

Purchase Tickets!

ESU President Marcia G. Welsh, Ph.D., will honor two individuals and an organization at the celebration, presenting the inaugural President’s Distinguished Medals to Robert M. Moses, William B. Cramer, Esq., and the R. Dale and Frances M. Hughes Foundation, for their commitment and work that has exemplified the values of ESU.

The President’s Distinguished Medal is the highest honor the university can award to an individual or organization and is presented at the discretion of the president. Established by Dr. Welsh, the university medal will be awarded in three categories: a community leader, a corporation/foundation, and a current or retired faculty/staff member. Dozens of nominations were received for the awards with the final selection of honorees being announced by committee in March.

Hosted by President Welsh and the ESU Foundation, the 125th Anniversary Celebration begins at 6 p.m. and includes a cocktail reception, dinner, awards, a champagne toast and dessert reception. Honorary chairs for the celebration are Pat ’67 and Joan M ’64 Ross, long-time community leaders and philanthropists. Proceeds from the event will benefit student scholarship. Tickets are $150 per person.

Event and program sponsorship opportunities are also available. To date, sponsors for the celebration include: Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union; CryoConcepts, LP; Sanofi Pasteur; Clermont Wealth Strategies, a division of Fulton Bank; The Haverford Trust Company; Ann and Joseph Farda Foundation; Vigon International; ESSA Bank & Trust, Lehigh Valley Steelhawks; St. Luke’s University Health Network; Stroudsmoor Country Inn; KW Commercial, The Daniel Perich Group; Monroe County Bar Association; Paul and Judy Schuchman; Joe Bosack & Co.; Martz Group; Santosha on the Ridge; and William H. Clark Funeral Home.
Contact Lianna DeSantis ’08, director of Corporation and Foundation Relations, at ldesantis1@esu.edu or 570-422-3179, for event and program sponsorship information.

Lead Sponsors:

About the Presidential Medal recipients:

Robert M. Moses
Retired Faculty/Staff Member Category
During his 42-year tenure at ESU, Robert M. “Bob” Moses was involved with multiple aspects of the university and the community-at-large. His career highlights include receiving many community service awards from the American Cancer Society such as the “President’s Award,” “Volunteer of the Year Award,” and the “Lifetime Achievement Award.” He received the “Humanitarian of the Year” award from the Greater Pocono Chamber of Commerce, and the “Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Award for Faculty-Staff” from ESU.

Bob is currently a member and chair of several boards such as the Sterling Strauser Gallery Committee at ESU. He is the fundraising lead for various university and community organizations such as the United Way, American Cancer Society, and Planned Parenthood of Northeast Pennsylvania. At ESU, he was instrumental in expanding the housing inventory of the Residence Life department. The expansion included the University Ridge Apartments, and three suite-style residence halls: Hawthorn, Hemlock and Sycamore Suites.

Recently, Bob established the Kathy Moses ’80 M’96 Elementary Education Memorial Endowed Scholarship for students in the elementary education program. He also supports, and has established several other scholarships that contribute to the well-being of ESU’s students. He retired from his position as director of residence life and housing this year and remains active in the ESU and local communities through his membership with the various boards. He resides in Shawnee on Delaware, Pa., and has two sons, Jeffrey and Christopher Moses.

William B. Cramer, Esq.
Community Leader Category
William “Bill” Cramer was a founding member of The East Stroudsburg University Foundation in 1986. He is an Attorney and President of the law firm of Cramer, Swetz, McManus & Jordan, P.C., in Stroudsburg, PA.

Over the years, Bill has had many leadership positions in the community. He is a life member of the Salvation Army Advisory Board and has been a volunteer for the United Way of Monroe County since 1976, serving on its Board of Directors and as Campaign Chair in 1985. Bill was also a founding member of the Pocono Health Foundation in 2003 and continues to serve on the Foundation. He was the Chair of the Capital Campaign for the new Dale & Frances Hughes Cancer Center at the Pocono Medical Center. He has volunteered his time and talent to the Monroe County Bar Association, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Monroe County, Northampton Country Club, PNC Bank N.A. Regional Advisory Board, and Boy Scouts of America Minsi Trails Council.

Bill’s contributions have been recognized by several groups, including the United Way of Monroe County, the Salvation Army, East Stroudsburg University Board of Trustees, the Rotary Club of the Stroudsburgs, Pocono Health System, Pocono Mountains Chamber of Commerce, East Stroudsburg University Alumni Association and the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Pocono Mountains Chapter. Bill was selected as the Grand Marshal of the 2013 St. Patrick’s Day Parade by the Pocono Irish American Club.

Bill established and supports two ESU Foundation scholarships, one for English majors and one for men’s basketball. He has been a member of the East Stroudsburg University Foundation Board since 2014, after initially serving on the Board from its inception in 1986 until 2001.

Bill and his wife Barbara reside in Stroudsburg. They have two grown children, Mark and Jennifer, and five grandchildren.

The R. Dale and Frances M. Hughes Foundation
Corporation/Foundation Category
The R. Dale and Frances M. Hughes Foundation was established in 1997 by Dale and Frances Hughes. The foundation’s mission is to collaborate with local non-profit agencies to improve the health, education, and quality of life of Monroe County residents.

Dale Hughes and his wife, Frances, gave $1.2 million in 2000 for the original Dale and Frances Hughes Cancer Center. In 2007 Frances gave $1 million toward the construction of the Warren E. ’55 and Sandra Hoeffner Science and Technology Center at ESU.

The foundation has supported community initiatives which include the new Dale and Frances Hughes Cancer Center, the Eastern Monroe Public Library, and Northampton Community College’s new Monroe Campus.

The foundation supports both ESU and the community by contributing toward the improvement of the baseball and softball fields at the Creekview Park complex. The foundation also provided funding for the 3D printer located in ESU’s G3 Design Lab, and scholarship opportunities for Monroe County students at ESU and NCC.

Since its inception, the foundation has provided significant funding to ESU, and many community non-profit organizations. Kevin Hughes currently serves as the president of the foundation, his wife, Patricia and sons, Scott and Carl, are the family trustees.

Details

Starts On

October 25 - 6:00 PM

Ends On

10:00 PM

Event Categories

Event

Venue

Stroudsmoor Country Inn

231 Stroudsmoor Rd
Stroudsburg
PA
United States
18360
P: 5704216431
https://www.stroudsmoor.com/
Show map