New Student Organizations
How to Start a Club
1. Stop by the Student Government Association office, room #219 of the University Center and pick up an application for recognition packet. The packet includes the application, guidelines and privileges, and a model constitution.
2. Create a constitution and recruit at least 10 members with their full names, ESU email address, and class rank.
3. Submit the constitution and membership list to the Student Senate Chair of Extra-Curricular Affairs. From there the constitution will go into a review process to ensure the constitution is aligned with SAA policy. After the review process is completed, the Chair of Extra-Curricular Affairs will contact you.
4. Once the constitution has been corrected, it will be presented to the full Student Senate for final recognition.
For more information, contact the Student Senate at (570) 422-3267
Or consult the SGA’s Handbook for Recognized Clubs and Organizations.
RECOGNITION PROCESS FOR NEW SAA STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Those interested in starting a new student organization would schedule a meeting with the Senior Director or Executive Director of the ESU Student Activity Association (SAA) to discuss the proposed purpose of the new organization, potential conflicts with existing organizations, the paperwork submission process and the SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee packet for new student organizations. Campus Rec & Wellness – Sports Activities or Office of Multicultural Affairs will be notified of the interest in establishing a potential new student organization which would have interaction with their office.
- Those interested in moving forward with the starting a new student organization will schedule a meeting with the SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee (ECAC) during their office hours to review the recognition process and the criteria for the draft constitution. (to be scheduled within two weeks of meeting with SAA staff)
- Once completed, the Application for Recognition, Organization Roster and draft constitution for the new organization would be returned to SAA Senior Director in the ESU Student Activity Association Office. Campus Rec & Wellness – Sports Activities or Office of Multicultural Affairs will be notified that an Application for Recognition and draft constitution has been submitted for an organization that would have interaction with their office.
- The draft constitution would be given to ECAC to review for formatting and adherence to requirements for student organization constitutions as provided in the SGA Handbook for Student Organizations. The draft constitution will be returned to the proposed organization with required/recommended changes. (to be completed within two weeks of being received in the SAA Office and repeated until the ECAC requirements/recommendations have been addressed)
- The chair of the SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee will meet with the SAA Senior Director and Executive Director to review proposed changes needed for the draft constitution. (to occur within two weeks of receiving the final draft constitution addressing all requirements/recommendations from ECAC)
- The SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee will meet with the lead members of the proposed student organization to review changes needed for the draft constitution. (to occur within two weeks of the meeting with the SAA Senior Director/Executive Director)
- The SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee will review each submitted draft of the proposed constitution until all issues have been addressed. (should occur within two weeks of receiving a revised constitution)
- The chair of the SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee will meet with the SAA Senior Director for a final review of the draft constitution to ensure that all previously mentioned issues have been addressed and the constitution will adhere to the requirements for student organization constitutions. Any additional changes will be taken back to the student organization to be addressed. (should occur within two weeks of receiving the final draft)
- Once all issues with the proposed constitution have been addressed, the SGA Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee will bring the proposed organization before the full membership of SGA for consideration for approval. Representatives from the proposed organization will be invited to the SGA meeting where the approval vote will be taken in order to present their proposed organization and answer questions from SGA members.
- Should the full membership of SGA not approve recognition for the student organization, the organization has ten (10) days to appeal to the SGA President to uphold or reverse the decision of the full SGA and approve recognition.
- Should the SGA President uphold the vote of the full SGA, the organization has ten (10) days to appeal to the ESU Student Activity Association Executive Director to uphold or reverse the decision of the SGA President and approve recognition. This is the final point of appeal.
- Once approved by SGA or through appeal, a message will be sent to the lead officer and advisor congratulating them on their recognition, sending them a copy of the SGA Handbook for Student Organizations, making them aware that their WarriorLink profile has been set-up and alerting them to schedule a meeting of the organization officers, any interested members and the organization advisor with ECAC and SAA staff for an officer briefing on SAA policies and procedures related to recognized student organizations. (to occur within two days of recognition approval by SGA)
- Once approved by SGA or through appeal, notice of the recognition of the new student organization will be sent to The Stroud Courier, Warrior Notes and to the Vice President for Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence.
Potential Student Organizations
Current Status of Potential Student Organizations Looking to be Recognized
|Krimson Kourt||Proposed constitution returned to organization for revisions||11/26/18|
|Living Poets Society||Proposed constitution returned to organization for revisions||4/17/18|
|ESU Catholic Student Club||Proposed constitution returned to organization for revisions||11/20/17|
|Golf Club||Proposed constitution submitted to ECAC for review||2/12/19|
|Women in Computer Science||Intent to organize meeting held with SAA||5/20/19|
|MANAA National Latina Organization||Intent to organize meeting held with SAA||5/21/19|